<VV> Bad Corvair

Vairtec Corporation Vairtec at optonline.net
Fri Oct 19 19:17:22 EDT 2012

I was entertained to learn, Smitty, that the main component of the Bad
Corvair's badness was that the line had come off the vacuum modulator.
This was quite literally the first Corvair repair item I learned back
when Corvairs were just cars, decades ago.  Even before I knew how and
when to change oil, I learned that a Corvair runs poorly if the line
comes off the vacuum modulator.

I no longer recall how it came to be that I acquired this tidbit of
knowledge.  Possibly because my father was an automatic transmission
devotee and the many Corvairs in my family were Powerglides.  But for
years whenever a Corvair would run poorly the first thing I would check
would be both ends of the modulator line.  I'd be disappointed if it was
a stick-shift car because the one thing I knew did not apply and I would
be out of ideas.

These days it takes me longer to run out of ideas... but I am not any
better at fixing an ailing Corvair.