<VV> Warren at Marshalltown, Iowa today

levair at aol.com levair at aol.com
Sun Sep 2 22:06:33 EDT 2012

-----Original Message-----
From: Sharon LeVeque <sharonlevair at aol.com>

>From Warren,

I just got back form Marshalltown Iowa for Fire and Ice, Corvair event.
We Corvair nuts sorta see this as our Corvair National Championships.
   I hadn't been in a few years and was encouraged by Michael, Tracy,
and our Alaskan friend Kevin Wilson to attend this event.  I was
financially short from the Walter Mitty vintage road race and had
deciced that I couldn't afford the Nation Corsa Convention or the  SCCA
National Solo Champion ship in Lincoln Neb. So the Marshalltown event
was the obvious choice.
     Michael, Tracy, and Kevin were going to drive Kevin's car. It is a
late Corsa (barely) street car with a 3.1 engine and tripple barrel
Webers and race tires and wheels.Great set up.
      I took my Levair Velociraptor BM formula car which is still very
much under development.
    The latest change was the replacement of the  600 cfm Rochester Q
Jet carburetor with a 600 CFM Double center float, vaccum secondary
Holley which was running good on another big engine Corvair. I felt
that the Q jet was not flowing enough fuel at top revs in this 3000,
13/1 compression engine; so the Holley should fix the problem with dual
inlet valves, two floats, and a new Holley 7psi fuel pump. But you
can't test this car without a racetrack.
     The ensuing development/testing problems will be my excuse for not
being able to report on other's successes; I hope that someone with the
results will help out here. I do know that Michael, Kevin, and Tracy
won their classes. Michael won by 1.5 sec. and drove at least 4 other
cars and beat all of the respective owners.
    The Marshalltown track is a Kart track of about .6 miles and we do 2
1/2 laps each time out and we all got 6 opportunities. The track is
over 3 Karts wide and reminds one of a smaller version of the Mid Ohio
raceway. It even doubles back on itself so that the spectators can see
it all.
     I was able to run the track at nearly 7000 rpm in 3 gear with a
3.27 axle ratio. The weather was hight 70s, sunny with a slight
breeze--perfect.
     Now, the down side,  the first run was great; on the 2nd run, the
primary float overflowed and , made the engine run poorly, and finally
hydrauliced (stuck) the engine. The required float removal, and
readjustment, and removing all of the spark plugs.
     The next time out the secondary float overflowed, and hydrauliced
the engine again. The next time out It ran fairly well and I finshed
with no oil pressure. No obvious reasons were found, I hope that it was
only the gas dilution of the oil. So I went from too little fuel
delivery to way too much fuel delivery.
     Now I went looking for another ride. Terry Kalp was there with his
mid engined Corvair powered (Shark) formula car and offered me a ride;
he alread had 4 drivers!
     The car had a 140 HP engine with only primary carburetors--maybe to
save it from the borrowing drivers.
    The car only fit Terry who is much larger than I, I was the smallest
driver with the most cushions.
The car was much fun and much appreciated, and ran mosty 3d grear also.
I never had to shift my car, but The Shark needed it. I was
embarassilngly slow in the first run, spun twice on the 2nd run,
because I was overbraking, during down shifting for the esses. On the
third and final run, I finally remembered , Mark Donahues advice about
shifting at the apex and not during  hard braking. I felt in my mind
that I made a very good run, but guess what?, one of the carburetors
flooded over during the entire run!!!   I discoverd later that I had
just barely eked out a win over the other drivers ( was really after
Ned Madson who was enjoying his lead a little tooo much).
     During the run runs, I got to drive Kevin Wilson's car. again very
much appreciated. it ran and handled beautifully!!!  I finished
slightly behind Michael and Kevin.
     Many thanks to all who helped me have a wonderful 2nd half of the
day. It was terrific to be just socially with my good friends. We had
great party times; especially with Travis' birthday party (pinnatia and
all) and Tracy and Michael's  and Terresa and John's engagement
parties.
    The Tweety's Choice award (for any reason I and others desire) went
to Teressa Rolling for her entertaining announcing.
     All in all a great event put on expertly by the Iowa Corvair
Enthusiasts.

Warren LeVeque