<VV> Lifter Question

BobHelt at aol.com BobHelt at aol.com
Wed Sep 12 16:57:54 EDT 2012

Hello Bob,
You have received several replies to your lifter questions, so  i will add
a contrarians point of view.
Regards,
Bob Helt

In a message dated 9/12/2012 11:02:08 A.M. US Mountain Standard Time,
bgilbert at gilberts-bc.ca writes:

Hi,

Conventional wisdom says that cold setting of the  lifters with a half turn
from zero lash is the way to go. I have few  question about the lifters and
in particular the half turn which differs  from what the manual recommends.

1) Why do we differ from what  the manual recommends?

Well, several reasons. Experience for  one. Takes less time too. You might
note that the manual says to fill the  lifters with oil before installing
them. Now a lot of people (e.g., Clarks) say  to install them dry. Things
change.  Should we still follow the  manual?

2)  If by any chance we still had original lifters should we be using  the
recommendations in the manual?

Again, you have a choice. Sure, adjust  them as per the manual. Or if you
wish adjust them to 1/2 turn or even 1/4 turn  if you like.

3)  How can I differentiate between the original lifters and what (I think)
are  generally called SBC lifters that are the norm  today?

Hard to do when installed. When  outside of the engine mostly by
construction. Refer to my book, THE CLASSIC  CORVAIR for a complete review of the
lifter history with many photos of  different lifters.

Thanks in  advance!

Bob