<VV> temporarily remove convertible top?

J R Read hmlinc at sbcglobal.net
Fri Apr 5 19:12:56 EDT 2013

Ray,

I once swapped tops between 2 '65s.  One was to be sold - but had an
electric top - the keeper was manual, so I decided to switch them.  The
keeper was also going to receive new fabric after a paint job, so while the
frame was off the car and fabric off the frame I was able to clean and
repaint the frame.

The manual one going to the car for sale was to be installed with the fabric
in place.  I had no helper in any of this and probably could have used one.
I managed to put a couple of small tears in the fabric (out of sight) when
it got pinched between the body and top frame along the left side.

Keep in mind that you will likely have to re-adjust things after a
re-install.  While it is not all that hard to do, you do run some risks and
(IMO) would be better off masking.  Oh, if you do decide to remove - figure
out a way to make sure the "stick" and fabric go back together the same way
that they came out in order to keep the length of the top the same as it was
to start.

Later, JR