<VV> unintended pedal placement

djtcz at comcast.net djtcz at comcast.net
Wed Apr 17 12:40:37 EDT 2013

original message snpped -
Now for the good part, I have personal experience of steeping on the
wrong pedal, TWICE! Let me tell you it is hard to convince yourself your
foot is on the wrong pedal, even when the "brake" pedal is on the floor
and a solid object is getting bigger in your sight. Both time by the
time I reacted and moved my foot to the correct brake pedal, I had
stopped by the force of the unmoveable object. No, not a Corvair, but
cars I wasn't used to driving, just moving around the shop. One was
right hand drive. BTW, it was the clutch pedal I found with my right
foot, not the accelerator pedal. One wasn't even running, just going
down a slope. Enough for now, maybe the statue of limitations hasn't
gone away yet.

Frank DuVal

The Volvo 850 automatic I drive all the time has the gas and brake pedal in just the right locations such that I sometimes hit both when braking. I pivot my foot rather than relocating it.
The relative heights are such that for normal moderate braking the gas pedal is pushed a lot harder than the brake, so the car does not slow at all, and may actually accelerate a little.
It really gets real exciting when the plan was to gently stop behind a stopped car, or when pulling up to a wall in the parking garage.

Dan T