<VV> Just an odd addition...

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Wed Apr 17 13:21:59 EDT 2013

_Shelrockbored at aol.com_ (mailto:Shelrockbored at aol.com)   writes:

I  recently serviced a 1965 Monza where the owner had done that, replaced
the stock wheel with a wheel of smaller diameter.  What is the  advantage
this beyond contemporary aesthetics?  You don't  find that more difficult
drive?

I found it made the Monza  very hard to handle since there is no power
steering.  If you  like it by all means do it, but I found it made
steering much
more  difficult.  Steve Sassi

Steering effort depends on many factors. Regular or Quick ratio steering,
Tire tread width, tire tread compound, pressure in the front tires and
diameter of the steering wheel. Your capability to input turns to the wheel also
 depends on many factors, some are body size and arm strength, but in
addition  you body placement behind the wheel
 matters as well.
The classic advantage of going to a smaller steering wheel is that the
tires will turn a little faster for every given movement of the steering
wheel. You are trading off the mechanical advantage/torque multiplier of  the
larger radius for the quicker tire movement and the higher effort that goes
with it. When tires were hard as a rock, the overall steering ratio wasn't too
 important because the tires had almost no resistance to turning. Now that
wide  sticky tires are available, input torque - your arms - begins to
matter. If you  like the semi-reclined-seat, classic "Italian" driving position,
the  straight-arms to the wheel makes it tough to steer.  -  Seth