<VV> bad lifter?

Ramon Rodriguez III corvairgrymm at gmail.com
Thu Aug 22 21:31:40 EDT 2013

another update:  It occurred to me that I had not thought to allow a good
while for the lifters to get pumped back up after having removed and
compressed them so I loosened up the adjuster nuts on those two and let the
car idle for 15 or 20 minutes.

Afterward I adjusted those two and now the #4 intake is behaving like it
should... further tightening now drops the RPM down.

The number four intake rocker is still a bit noisier (using mechanics
stethoscope) than the others so I'm not sure it's working 100%.  I think
what I had better do is take all of the lifters out of that cylinder bank
(one pair at a time) to make sure they aren't stuck and thoroughly clean
them.. really thoroughly.  If I'm really lucky maybe my compression test
will look a lot better afterward.

I haven't reinstalled the valve cover and test driven the car yet but it
sounds a lot better than it did.  Tomorrow hopefully I'll put the valve
cover on and do a test drive, then pull it back off and start on all the
drivers side lifters.  The front bottom valve cover bolt and front couple
of rocker adjustments are a real pain with the headers installed!

Ray R.