<VV> tranny and carb questions

harryyarnell harryyarnell at verizon.net
Mon Feb 25 20:20:23 EST 2013

As to the carb issue, it appears the carbs are way out of balance.

Now for the carb question.  When using my "uni-syn" gauge on the '84' engine in the '60, I have an unusual situation.  The gauge, on the left carb (drivers) reads about the first line up from the bottom.  When placed firmly on the top of the carb, it  doesn't change the idle at all.  (This carb seems to work like they are supposed to)  Now, when moved to the right carb (pass.) it reads all the way to the top.  And when you hold it firmly on the carb top, it all but smothers the engine.  It slows down and starts to sputter and run rough.  As soon as I release it, the engine smooths out and runs fine.

   These are '65 and up bottoms.  I also can't get the linkage right. (This may or may not be related)  Both idle screws are adjusted all the way out so they don't have any effect on the idle.  Once out on the open road, the car runs super otherwise.  I can even get 60mph out of 3rd gear when I put my foot in it. (Without a tach, i'm reluctant to push it any further even though it wants to keep revving)  Again, thoughts and opinions appreciated.

Thank you

Randy (Cap'n) Hook

'60 700 4dr 84/4spd

'63 ragtop 110/pg

'65 monza 4dr 84/pg
This message was sent by the VirtualVairs mailing list, all copyrights are the property of the writer, please attribute properly. For help, mailto:vv-help at corvair.org This list sponsored by the Corvair Society of America, http://www.corvair.org/ Post messages to: VirtualVairs at corvair.org Change your options: http://www.vv.corvair.org/mailman/options/virtualvairs