<VV> Tune up questions

Ken Pepke kenpepke at juno.com
Thu Jan 17 10:32:13 EST 2013

Spark plugs do not have a 'shelf life' either in the box or in your engine.  Properly matched to your engine [reach, thread length, and heat range] and driven with limited milage per year, as many of us do, a set of plugs will last for many years.  If you have a Petronix or other high voltage ignition system, you may NEVER have to change them.

AC with their 'Fire Ring' design are best and Autolight are a good choice, Champion or other makes with an extended tip design; not so much.  [The flame front starts in the wrong place in the cylinder and under the most extreme conditions can hole the piston.]  A 'worn' plug can be renewed by filing the center electrode tip flat to make the edge sharp again.  At 2000 miles per year that will be every ten years  … or more.

Ken P
Wyandotte, MI
65 Monza 110hp 4 speed 2 door
Worry looks around; Sorry looks back, Faith looks up.