<VV> Tune up questions

Jim Davis jld at wk.net
Thu Jan 17 12:24:27 EST 2013

The extended tip spark plugs were an attempt to prevent "glazing".
This is where the engine is cold soaked at temperatures below zero.
When the engine fires for the first few times, the water from the
combustion event tends to freeze on the porcelain tip, shorting out the
plug; thus, the engine dies and won't restart.  Extending the tip warms
up the plug faster and can help prevent the problem.  AC 44FFS were
available for this problem.

I find the NGK has a better selection of heat ranges for Corvairs.  All
my Corvairs have CR of 9.6 or higher thus need colder plugs than the
standard 44FF.   NGK have BR5HS (same heat range as 44FF) as well as the
BR6HS which is equivalent to the 42FF.   There is also a BR6HIX if you
prefer a cold plug with an iridium tip.
Jim Davis