<VV> <Aarrgghh!!> Autoweek ~ "ill-handling Corvair" - Really ?

Joel McGregor joel at joelsplace.com
Wed Jan 23 14:02:46 EST 2013

I do understand oversteer.  My '82 Malibu (not stock) understeers badly below 20mph on 90 degree turns.  It is really loose at any other speed if you are off the gas.  On the gas it's pretty neutral.  It doesn't have enough power for power induced oversteer.
See below on the Corvair thing.

Joel McGregor

On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 10:07 AM, Ken Pepke <kenpepke at juno.com> wrote:

>Honestly now, in the hardest left
> hand turn you have ever made with a Corvair, which way were you turning the
> steering wheel [before you lost it]?
To the right.

>An 'oversteering' vehicle is started
> into a left turn by turning the steering wheel to the left to get the turn
> started, then the wheel will have to be turned to the RIGHT to maintain the
> left hand turn.  The faster one goes the harder to the right the wheel must
> be turned.
Which is exactly what every stock Corvair I've driven does.