<VV> Gas price survery - not what you think

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Thu Jul 4 00:12:30 EDT 2013

I do not remember 1/2 gallon pricing, but there were liter pricing
pumps.  As soon as enough three digit computers were made to replace the
two digit ones liter pricing went away.  It followed on the heels of the
metric distance signs and speedometers. Luckily the public reaction was
so bad the metric road side signs were replaced with miles signs.

I'm with Matt that 1979 was the over a gallon era. This was the second
oil crisis. The first oil crisis was 1973. 1973 to 1974 was the jump
from 33 cents to 45/50 cents and very long lines. About 1977 the price
was up to 65 cents IIRC. I bought my first Corvair (64 Spyder) in 1976.

Upon second thought, there were pumps that priced a gallon at half
price. I vaguely remember having to double the pump total to pay for gas.

Frank DuVal