<VV> Problems We Conjure Up to Worry About & Then Worry About Them WAS Gasoline

Shelrockbored at aol.com Shelrockbored at aol.com
Fri Jul 5 09:31:04 EDT 2013

Back in the day when gas was 0.699/gallon and then the price jumped  over a
$1.00/gallon, we sold gas by the half gallon for a while.  Everyone  was
griping about the cost as they do now.  In those days kids worked after
school to make extra money.  When we become too old for paper routes  we pumped
gas.

One day while pumping gas, a buddy of mine was being watched very closely
by a cheapskate who was looking for an excuse to avoid paying for some or
all of  his purchase.  A small drop of gas dropped on the ground after my
friend had stopped pumping at the dollar amount which the cheapskate had  asked
for.  He began complaining about how he was paying for that gas  that my
friend had let fall on the ground and that it must be several  dollars worth
which he refused to pay for.  In exasperation my friend (who  is now a NYC
cop) told him that he will pour gas on the ground worth a dollar  and that he
(my friend) would pay for it just to demonstrate how much a dollar  worth
was.  Although it was a stupid thing to do he began to  demonstrate.  He never
topped 0.10 as the puddle become huge at roughly  1/10th of a gallon,
certainly a lot more than is in the hose and a lot less than  a quart which is
1/4th of a gallon.

My point?  The amount in the hose is so infinitesimal as to not worry
about it.  The reduction in octane is so small that your engine will never  know
nor care about it.  Why should you?

Although there is much pleasure in arguing, one could drive oneself  crazy
with these imagined problems.  The list is almost endless, from what  color
gas should be to the proper name for an automotive rear window (the
official GM tech manual reads, 'rear window' never saw the term,  'backlight'
except on this newsgroup) to the psi rating of airflow through  a Corvair engine
bay.

So don't worry about the gas left in the hose.  If that causes  problems
there is more wrong with your engine than it running on just 0.10  gallon of
sub standard octane fuel.

Steve Sassi
Long Island Corvair
'66 Corsa