<VV> Gas price survery - not what you think

hihal6 at gmail.com hihal6 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 5 13:30:07 EDT 2013

What is the lowest gasoline price you ever saw during the "Corvair Decade"?

Going back in time-------in May 1961 I was working my way through college
and the new owner of a '61 Corvair 700 Coupe. I had a week of vacation at
the end of the spring semester so my wife & I headed south from Charleston
WV to Florida on US Highway 21. This was old fashioned, pre-interstate
travel and went through long stretches of rural countryside.  Back home in
Charleston, regular gas cost about 32 cents. South of Columbia SC, a
gasoline price war was under way. My Vair, with its 84HP PG, was averaging
about 25mpg so it was hard to pass those "lowest gas price here" signs and
finally I did pull in and fill up at 15.9 cents per gallon. I didn't think
I would ever see it that low again since the gasoline taxes must have been
almost that high. I was wrong though; not more than 10 or 15 miles later a
station was selling it for 12.9! That is by far the best gasoline price I
ever saw but with a full tank, I had to pass it up.

Keep in mind though, the new Corvair cost under $2400 and motel rooms on
Daytona beach were $5.00 per night in 1961.