<VV> Fwd: Clutch Engagement Problem - Solved

Kevin Clark kevin@kcvairbrush.com kevin at kcvairbrush.com
Fri Jul 5 16:53:36 EDT 2013

I thought this might be important letting you know how the shifting issue has been solved.

Every one of you replied thinking the clutch cable has stretched. Maybe I should have told you the shifter kept popping out of second and fourth gear while driving. This might have given you a clue with the shifting issue. I thought it was irrelevance since that problem occurred after installing a new rubber shift boot thinking it was too stiff or heavy.

It made a lot of sense when I discovered the transmission mounting bolts in the front crossmember bracket has been working itself loose. One has gone AWOL and the second one has loosened about 1/32". The two bolts are on the passenger side right next to the idler lever for the clutch cable and clutch rod. This explains the increased slack in the clutch travel and the vibration in neutral with your foot off the clutch pedal. I found four shims loose and fortunately they stayed in place from all that sticky goo. I replaced the missing bolt and tightened the rest of them to the bracket.

On a test drive shifting is back to normal without the slightest jerky feel. The clutch grabs noticeably later when releasing the clutch pedal. The vibration has gone away. I have forgotten how the ride should behave since the problem gradually crept on me slowly.

Now I need to remind myself to check on those bolts periodically. Thank goodness it is not the throw out bearing. I'm still not sure why the problem accurred after the engine has warmed up. Engine/drivetrain expansion?

I did change the shift boot from rubber to fabric before I found the real problem. I do not think the rubber shift boot was causing the gear shift popping out. Only way to find out is replace it back to rubber but I'm happy with the fabric boot for now.

See you at the K'zoo!

KC

Kevin G. Clark
kevin at kcvairbrush.com