<VV> Bad Paint not from China (Minimal Corvair Content)

RoboMan91324 at aol.com RoboMan91324 at aol.com
Sun Jul 14 16:37:15 EDT 2013

SVS,

I don't get the point.

Over the decades, quality control in all levels of  manufacturing above
"garage shop" has been improving.  Even in the garage,  this must be a concern
even if the parameters are not scientifically  quantified.  After WW2 when
W. E. Deming first proposed zero defect  manufacturing as not only an
achievable goal but a true cost saving philosophy,  all industrial countries and
their manufacturing entities have embraced quality  control as a prerequisite
to success.  To this day, The Deming Award is a  highly coveted
international recognition of this applied  science/philosophy.  This includes China.

As an aside, Deming first proposed zero defect manufacturing  in the US
auto industry.  I think it was Ford at first.  He was  universally repudiated
for what were considered to be "crazy" proposals here in  the US and went to
Japan where he is still worshipped.  They embraced his  philosophy and most
of us know that we are still recovering from the stigma of  poor quality
manufacturing in the US as compared to Japan.  (Corvair  content ...)  As you
can see from the list of my toys at the end of this  post, I truly love
vintage US cars, especially Corvairs.  However, my love  of these cars does not
stem from the quality control the auto industry had in  place back then.

Yes, the quality process can get out of control but more often  than not,
the problem has its roots in the failure to define the important  control
parameters.  You may recall the outrage a few years back when  sources in China
supplied children's toys to Mattel with lead based paint.   Mattel
eventually admitted that it was their fault.  They failed to inform  the
manufacturer in China that lead based paint was not acceptable.  The  supplier simply
used the least expensive products that did not violate the  specifications
they had in hand at the time.  The folks at Mattel wrongly  assumed that the
folks in China knew that lead based paints were banned in the  USA.  Of
course, the products were recalled at great expense to Mattel, not  the Chinese
manufacturer.

I do not pretend to know what transpired between Eastwood and  its
suppliers, nor do I know what Grant's specific needs are.  However, I  assume that
Grant has expressed his needs to Eastwood and how the more recent  products
do not meet them.  In my experience, suppliers (and their  suppliers) want to
correct any problems as quickly as possible.  Its just  good business.  To
get proper response, sometimes you must take the  complaint to a higher
level than the first person in Customer Service who  answers the phone or
receives the email.  The supplier can't fix a problem  they are unaware of at the
proper management level.

Just to stir things up, I have seen situations where quality  levels that
were too high caused a problem for a customer.

Regarding computer upgrades, this is not a quality control  issue.
Advancements in PC capability (and other technologies) is a good  thing.  Each
advancement of various PC technologies allows development of  improved software,
processing speed, storage, communication, etc.  If you  need or merely want
that expanded capability and your present PC can't  support it, "ya gotta
do what ya gotta do."  I have 3 computers ... my  laptop for visiting clients
and working on the road, my quite OLD tower PC for  general data storage,
writing letters and proposals, etc. and a higher  capability tower for my
technical stuff.  The high level PC can support all  my needs but I do not
permit it to have direct internet communication for  security reasons.  As
necessary, I transfer files after  scanning.

Doc

1960 Corvette, 1961 Rampside, 1962 Rampside, 1964 Spyder  coupe, 1965
Greenbrier, 1966 Canadian Corsa turbo coupe, 1967 Nova SS, 1968  Camaro ragtop

In a message dated 7/12/2013 7:46:38 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,

Message:  7