<VV> convention report

Warren LeVeque levair at aol.com
Sat Jul 20 17:40:38 EDT 2013

Amen to all of them!!

Warren

-----Original Message-----
From: John Cole <colejohn at wildblue.net>
To: virtualvairs <virtualvairs at corvair.org>
Sent: Sat, Jul 20, 2013 10:59 am
Subject: <VV> convention report

Being a member of the host chapter means that the convention can be very
ntense.  It can be stressful.  It is most definitely tiring.  Members of our
ommittee were busy every day.  Some put in a lot of hours.  Volunteers from
ther clubs stepped up.  It’s hard to remember all who took part and helped and
rying to say thank you means that some will inevitably be missed.  This is not
o say that the efforts were not appreciated, it’s just that when you can’t
emember to eat or drink for an entire day, it’s hard to remember  every person
ou had interacted with.
But there are definitely some who deserve recognition for what went on in
alamazoo over the last couple days:
David Dykwell—convention chair, he knew who to put in what positions, then gave
hem freedom to do what they knew how to do.  Then he made sure tours were
lanned and manned.  Then he checked off the progress of everything and when it
ooked like something was slipping, remained calm and dealt with the situation.
e proved a capable leader and manager.
Ryan Counterman---WMCC president, he kept Dave on track through the process.  He
an interference during the planning.  He showed off his firetruck.  He chaired
he autocross and concours.
Dan Konkle—Rally master and econo run guru, provided that dry sense of humor to
ighten the mood just when needed through planning.  He gave attendees a good
our of what the area had to offer.
Barb Adams—If anybody came into the hospitality room for anything and walked out
eeling better when they came in, it was because of Barb.  Most would not be
ble to put a face with that name because Barb started a new job this week and
as unable to be there during the day.  However, she came in every evening and
ade sure things went the way they were supposed to and staged for the next day.
er planning and preparation made it easy on those who worked the room.
Paul Adams—He, with some very capable help from Keith Martin, were the guys who
ept that table at the entrance moving.  I’ve been to more than one convention
nd know that registration gets a lot of questions and complaints.  To walk out
t the end of the convention having taken care of every attendee is quite an
ccomplishment.  Not to mention all the work that he and Barb did putting the
egistration packets together leading up to the convention.
Dave Ziebarth—if you got a t-shirt  from the convention, thank Dave.  If you
ead about the convention online prior to the convention, thank Dave.
Bill Brenner—If you saw a guy sitting at the hotel driveway making sure that
eople parked their towing rigs in the right place and that nothing got out of
and then you saw Bill.
Doug Lectka—He’s the guy who controlled the purse strings.  Somehow he managed
o get the money to the appropriate people as needed throughout our planning.
John Koning—Having a guy like John around is very good.  Mostly because he
rings his wife, Cathy, with him.  She is a capable take-charge kind of person
ho when needed would step up to any task.  John kept the water cold in the
ospitality room, helped with set up and tear down, always provided a smile and
 friendly word.  Just the kind of guy who was needed to keep everyone on an
ven keel.
Verne Metcalf—while not a member of the convention committee he affected many of
he attendees.  All who took home a trophy will have a visible reminder of their
ime in Michigan because of Verne.  He made all the trophies in his shop behind
is house.  And from what I have heard he made the trip to Shipshewana very
njoyable.
Tom May—for what we will be doing today at Gilmore, he will be an integral part
f that (along with John Koning and Dave Dykwell).  Our hope is that the car
how is a fitting end to the convention and a low-key event where we can all say
ur farewells while enjoying one of the top-ranked auto museums in the country.

teve Ridderman—worked a little magic with the Pepsi distributor and got all the
rinks in the hospitality room supplied.  With the heat this week the water
iterally was a lifesaver.  But another thing he did was brought a goofy little
otorcycle and provided several of us a little enjoyment by allowing us to ride
he thing around the site to see things.  I know it made my day one day.
Also to a couple clubs that stepped up and filled some huge gaps.  Detroit Area
orvair Club brought their valve cover track and ran the races.  They completely
emoved that responsibility from us and made what has become a large part of the
elcome celebration memorable.
Chicagoland Corvair Enthusiasts offered to help work turns at the autocross.
hat was before they found out the track was nearly a mile in length.
ortunately the track was well planned and cone resetting was at a minimum
unless I was on the track).
The Furrin Group is the local “sports car” club that did the technical stuff at
he autocross.  They ran the timing equipment (which they supplied) and kept the
vent moving (pun intended).  They were in their element and showed why we chose
o partner with them.
I could continue to go on, but there are so many others I could mention like the
otel staff at the Four Points who were the most helpful, friendly staff I have
ver seen.  Or the Kalamazoo Air Zoo host to the concours and banquet what a
onderful venue for those events.  Or the Gilmore Museum allowing us to come in
or our final event and put on an all ‘60s show.  We hope all will agree that it
s a beautiful complex.
The people who deserve the most thanks are all the attendees who came to see
hat Michigan had to offer.  To see what our little corner of the world looked
ike.  The hope is that when you think of the 2013 convention that you will have
leasant memories.  That you will remember your time with us with a fondness and
 longing to come back for a visit.
John