<VV> Fuel Prices Per Octane-------Now Fuel Pumps

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Sat Jul 27 01:40:37 EDT 2013

The test I perform to see if the car has vapor lock, due to high fuel
pump temperature, is to pour ice or ice water on the fuel pump. If fuel
then starts pumping to the carbs and the car starts, there you have it,
hot fuel pump boiled the gasoline inside to a vapor state. Not enough
vapor can be pumped by the pump to run a Corvair engine and the vapor
escapes from the carb vent before it gets through the main jet.

Yes, a leaking pump valve can also cause the same symptoms, but usually
at lower temperatures, and not the same heat soak period of time.

Pressure? As long as I have flow, the pressure could be very low and the
engine still runs, therefore no vapor lock. Low fuel pressure would be
more of a high speed problem. If I have vapor, the pressure will be
zero. Why? because the carb bowl is empty, the needle is open. Therefore
no pressure can build up in the feed line to the carbs. No, I have never
taken the pump off and done bench testing to see what the maximum
pressure would be. That's a good idea though.

All three of my daily driver Corvairs have mechanical fuel pumps. Most
of the club members around here run mechanical pumps, including one
daily driver. The one, and only one, that experienced vapor lock is my
66 AC car, where the condenser heats all the air in the engine
compartment (not just the engine cooling air like earlier models). I
tired of carrying ice with me on 95 degree days, so I installed an
electric fuel pump up at the fuel tank with a switch on the dash. I can
run it when I need to. I have only needed it once since installing it.

All vapor lock I have ever experienced is of the heat soak type, after
sitting 10 to 20 minutes with the engine off. Engine starts fine, but
stops after the carb bowls empty, typically just out of the parking lot.
I have never had vapor lock while driving or very short term stopping.

Back in the early 80s I started seeing a lot of vapor lock problems.
Those problem cars got electric fuel pumps. Of course there were lots of
Corvairs being driven everyday back them. Now I rarely hear of actual
vapor lock problems. Lots of things thought to be vapor lock, but
without the heat soak period to boil fuel to vapor. These are usually
fuel hose, filters, loose pump valves, etc. One should replace all the
rubber hoses and filters before condemning the mechanical pump and
switching to electric.

On a side note, I just replaced the electric fuel pump on my Graham.
Yes, they do fail also.

The throwing of an electric pump to solve a fuel problem is like
installing a Pertronix to solve a points problem. Sure, it can solve a
particular problem, just not ALL the problems.

Frank DuVal