<VV> Now Fuel Pumps

Smitty vairologist at cox.net
Sat Jul 27 13:43:28 EDT 2013

Smitty Says;   Frank I like you.  I don't care what your wife and friends
say about you, I think you are OK. GGGG  On one of my many cross countries I
started experiencing vapor lock symptoms.  (The car, not me).  From KC to
Denver I never made a highway stop and got more than a mile down the road
without the engine quitting.  Quick fuel stop or stop for a burger at a fast
food emporium and I would be digging into the soft drink cooler very soon.
Longer stops like following SWAMBO through a Wallmart and it would fire
right up and never miss a beat as long as I kept peddling.  Got to Denver 20
antique stores and a chest of ice later I broke out the wrenches.  Opened a
fuel line at a carb after a forced stop and had no fuel there.  In spite of
the vapor lock symptoms I broke down and put my standby pump on.  Not one
more problem the rest of the trip.
I am not so stupid as to think that everyone that has a vapor lock problem
has a weak pump.  But there is one case where a weak pump was the problem.
Back home I dissected the pump and found the valves were of some material
that looked like hard rubber, and one of them was badly deteriorated.  One
instance does not indicate a trend, but I did experience that one instance.

Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2013 01:40:37 -0400
From: Frank DuVal <corvairduval at cox.net>
The test I perform to see if the car has vapor lock, due to high fuel pump
temperature, is to pour ice or ice water on the fuel pump. If fuel then
starts pumping to the carbs and the car starts, there you have it, hot fuel
pump boiled the gasoline inside to a vapor state. Not enough vapor can be
pumped by the pump to run a Corvair engine and the vapor escapes from the
carb vent before it gets through the main jet.