<VV> Corvair #5999

Linda Chumbley lachumbley at gmail.com
Sat Jul 27 23:11:15 EDT 2013

Hello Mark,

I found your email address on a website last updated in 2008. I am hoping it is still active and you can help me with a '69 Corvair.

I believe my parents were the original owners of Corvair #5999.  My father's brother owned Jim Chumbley Chevrolet in Ypsilanti, MI.  My parents purchased a '69 Corvair from my uncle.  He told us it was the last Corvair.  I have since learned the last Corvair was keep by Chevrolet and probably does't exist anymore.

So, that leads me to believe we owned the 2nd to the last Corvair...the one that wouldn't start when it rolled off the line.  Everything I have found on the web about #5999 matches our car.

If the serial number on the driver's door does not match the rest of the car, it was our car.  In the mid-1970's my mother backed out of the garage into the Corvair.  The driver's door was replaced/repainted by a local body shop.

My parents divorced in the mid-1970's and my father got the car.  He sold it at some point and I have lost track of it.  And, what pains me even more, just weeks ago, I was helping my mother clean out her house.  I held the original receipt for the purchase of the Corvair in my hand, including the VIN number, wondering why my mother had saved this bit of paperwork.  Shortly thereafter I heard about the guy in Nebraska with all the old cars, low mileage, etc, and I started wondering about our Corvair.  But, before that happened, the receipt for the Corvair was dumped into the paper recycling bin and it's gone.

If you have this car, tell me about it.  Please, send pictures!  Where is it today?

Thank you for your time!

Linda Chumbley
Golden, CO

Sent from my iPad