<VV> Cooling system "goals"

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Tue Jul 30 11:22:45 EDT 2013

The only reason I would be interested - and I am interested - in improving
the Corvair cooling system is to improve the reliability of air flow across
the  cylinders and heads in a racing situation. I have taken the steps,
like most  racers, of cleaning out all the paths that air can take through the
heads and  around the cylinders. I think the stock fan puts out sufficient
air to cool the  motor in 95% of the driving we all do. So, for 95% of
Corvair folks, it is not  an issue. For the 5% (or less) who race, we want to
provide a reliable air  source and, if possible, spend less energy to provide
that air. The  result of that quest is looking at thinks like vertical fans,
which should  provide a reliable single plane drive, and more efficient fan
styles, like axial  flow designs. I am no airflow expert, and I have put many
street miles on  Corvairs with only a rare belt issue. On the race track,
however, out of  necessity, I continue to explore many routes to more
reliable airflow.  I have tried every spring loaded pulley/tensioner ever supplied
for a Corvair,  some work better than others. I have run every belt type -
in my experience no  one type is superior - (Your mileage may vary). I am
running the LeVair  half-speed fan kit. For racing, it provides sufficient
flow, as long as I  can keep a belt on it. It is not a street option, and is not
promoted as  such.
In summary, people should try to chase down the fan options that would
increase reliability in Heavy Duty applications, racing mostly. Let people
investigate, try new things, and step on their own toes once in a while. Nobody
 is telling you to put a new fan on your street Corvair, which may be
perfectly  equipped for the driving you do. If someone finds a more efficient
(less HP  used) fan set-up, that also includes a reliable drive, why not try it
out and  see if us 5%ers can make it work?

(Once upon a time, there was this electric fan .  .  .   .  .  .  . )

Seth Emerson

In a message dated 7/30/2013 7:52:46 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,