<VV> Deutz Cooling fans?

Jay Maechtlen jaysplace at laserpubs.com
Tue Jul 30 23:22:46 EDT 2013

On 7/30/2013 9:03 AM, BBRT wrote:
> Well, rather than just type, and suggest someone else do it, I have arranged
> to visit a Deutz diesel dealer in Richmond VA.  Different sizes, no impellor
> map available. Prices, for an D914L6 impellor are around $350 ea. Different
> sizes, around what we can use, of 10 plus to 11 plus inches diameter at best
> guess from fellow I talked with.
> So, I will go down and take some pictures, look, touch and measure. I'll
> report back.
> BTW, for our application, add to the impellor price, the bearing adpator and
> any shrouding required... Appears we are looking at at least $5-600.
> Probably a lot more. Has anyone priced aluminum stock material?
> One other thing, if one looks at hp and torque engine graphs for their
> air-cooled diesels, note the peak power is at 1500 rpm or so.  The impellor
> may not be efficient enough, even greatly under-driven, for a high rpm race
> engine. mpellor power required is not easily available unless we can get
> someone to call their engineering department in Germany and ask if they will
> give us an impellor map and data.
>
> Ulli? (Probably travelling after the convention).
>
> Chuck S
> Frederickburg, VA
One thing we tend to forget- we operate these motors over a wide RPM range.
So you need to figure out what engine RPM  range you want to optimize
fan performance at, select fan drive ratios for that, and then determine
if fan performance is ok over the rest of the RPM range.
If not, adjust and recompute.

--
Jay Maechtlen SoCal '61 2-dr modified w/fiberglass skin, transverse 3.8
Buick V6 TH440T4 trans