<VV> Magnets in (or attached to) the oil system

Stephen Upham contactsmu at sbcglobal.net
Sun Mar 31 00:04:27 EDT 2013

I have attached 5 super magnets to the base of the oil filter since I rebuilt my engine with by club members's help six years ago.  Someone told me that it would not attract ferrous debris, but I did an experiment with a bottom half of a used oil filter case and the magnets did collect and hold the debris suspended in motor oil.  As to whether it works  for sure or not under real operational conditions, I really don't know.  It probably does, and I certainly feel better about having them there.

Stephen Upham
NTCA
CORSA

Saturns used a magnet in the AT filter and the website below lists two
magnets for use in the AT sump. I don't know of any reason these wouldn't
work as well in the oil pan. My OEM Saturn AT filter had a round magnet at
the top of the AT filter which I wipe clean and reuse when replacing the
filter and changing fluid.