<VV> HARD DRIVE MAGNETS ramblins

N2VZD at aol.com N2VZD at aol.com
Sun Mar 31 09:33:30 EDT 2013

I get bad hard drives by the box at times from several sources. It can be
tedious work to remove them , and you do need TINY torx drivers (I use a kit
of  security bits). There are STRONG magnets on both sides (sometimes only
one side)  of a coil on the pick up arm that has the heads on it. These
magnets are so  strong for the size , you can get hurt if 2 get loose !. They
will destroy a  color picture tube , or watch.
There is also a tiny strong magnet used to park the heads . We use these in
 small model airplanes to make mini servos, and hold batteries in place.
Corvair use started years ago when I found so much VERY fine stuff on drain
 plugs  (transmission and engine)that I magnetized myself with a starter
solenoid coil and a LARGE electrolytic cap discharged across it.  This gave
me a stock looking drain plug that had a very strong field. Now If we had a
stock looking drain plug made of the exotic metal they use for today's
magnets...WOW.
I got these ideas in the early 70's when working on GM speedo's requiring a
 strong magnetizer.
Now just think of some of the other fun I used to have?
If you are really interested , I suppose I could take some step by step
pictures of hard drive destruction and post them on our website . I have a
pile  I just took apart.
Regards, Tim Colson