<VV> PARADE /now lower shroud tests

corvairduval at cox.net corvairduval at cox.net
Fri May 31 10:40:17 EDT 2013

A genral answer:

On my Spyder the temperature gauge would read about 50 degrees lower with
the shrouds off in hot weather and high speed driving when I removed the
lower shrouds. I also ran with the shrouds back on, but the doors left off
and results were almost as good as shrouds removed, so I ran it this way
and had heat in the winter. The turbo warms up just fine without doors!

The 64 110 PG would quit pinging with the same timing settings if I removed
the lower shrouds.

These tests were conducted in Virginia heat and humidity over the course of
10 years.

Anyone with a Spyder or Corsa dash and working (not calibrated, as this is
a relative measurement) thermister can do this test.

And a side effect is with the lower shrouds off, the thermostats no longer
close the doors and prevent the natural thermosiphon of air through the
engine when it is stopped after a long run on a hot day. This helps lessen
true vapor lock. Vapor lock happens when the engine stops running and the
fan no longer can push ambient air through the sheet metal to cool off the
block, therby cooling the fuel pump and lines. Of course hot staring
problems due to fuel percolating in the carbs is also lessened, as Mark
says.

Frank DuVal

Original email: