<VV> 1963 Turbo Engine Backfiring through the carb.

kenpepke at juno.com kenpepke at juno.com
Sat Nov 9 08:51:34 EST 2013

The valve noise on that engine is terrible … if the uTube sound is believable.  That means the valves are not opening to their proper distance, maybe not at all.  Maybe one or more are stuck open a bit.

At this point I would let the engine run at dead idle for a long time.  If the lifters do not 'pump-up' in an hour or so, then it is time to do a valve rocker adjustment.  If it is still back firing it is time for a compression check.  A slightly stuck open valve will show up in very low or maybe even zero cylinder pressure.

Ken P
Wyandotte, MI
65 Monza 110hp 4 speed 2 door
Worry looks around; Sorry looks back, Faith looks up.