<VV> speedo My 3 cents

N2VZD at aol.com N2VZD at aol.com
Sat Oct 5 05:47:09 EDT 2013

I used to work on GM AC speedos for a warranty shop in Syracuse from 65-77.
 I also did GM  Delco radios.
At some point the Speedos had a wick on a brass arm on the last digit to
put a slight purple haze on the roll. Most dried out before it got there, but
 put a barely discernable mark on. Other than that , just a good look at
things  on the car should show miles. door hinges , window regulators , sill
trim ,  brakes / backing plates , and lots of other areas.
As far as running the odometer with a drill , do the math , it just is not
worth it. By the time you take enough miles off , the main 2 frame and
magnet  bearings will be toast .Please look up info on it to understand why.It
should be  taken apart to do the job properly , but gets sticky legal issues
(Federal  level) involved , plus most states have a good record of year to
year miles with  the inspection logs. The only reason I bring this up is to
save you from big  problems (I have seen this , when the state came and
reviewed our logs  once).
Only reason I play with odometers now is when I install a different dash
(Spyder in non Spyder etc) , or replace a non working one.
New frames with bearings are getting hard to find , lubing the bearing
correctly is a speacial job. So if you have speedo problems , I suggest finding
 a correct dash , and sending it out for repairs to someone set up to do it
 correctly. It will save you a lot of grief! (if he is good). No , I am NOT
 looking for work!.  Now days they are all electronic , so finding a good
shop may take a bit of research.
Regards,Tim Colson