<VV> 63 rear brake/parking brake questions

corvairduval at cox.net corvairduval at cox.net
Wed Sep 18 15:34:00 EDT 2013

On the cable, if it is OK otherwise than the clips, use a #4 or #6 hose
clamp to hold it in place. The same size you use to remove the cable from
the backing plate. If the clamp slides off, ot will still be retained by
the cable, so it will not fall into the shoes and start to grind.

I have also noted interferrence between the parking brake lever and the
hold down pin while installing brakes shoes, but it seems to go away when
the shoes are centered and working.

Proper parking brake adjustment is first adjust the service brakes star
wheel. The, tighten (or loosen) the nut on the center parking brake cable
until the parking brake hand lever moves 7 or so clicks to set the brake.
If the hand lever comes all the way up and just barely holds, that is too
loose!

Frank DuVal

Original email: