<VV> Cleaning Piston Crowns

corvairduval at cox.net corvairduval at cox.net
Wed Apr 2 13:14:53 EDT 2014

I don't know a best way, but...

I strongly recommend you pull the pistons out of the engine (by removing
rods from engine) to examine them closely for cracks.

If you find none, you can put them right back in, just keep the same
bearing shells in the same locations.

The OEM pistons crack a lot. Especially around the oil ring groove. This
causes the top of the piston to come off.

Frank DuVal

Original email: