<VV> HELP - Owen is looking for some assistance – UV500 broke down.

Bryan Blackwell bryan at skiblack.com
Thu Apr 3 10:19:53 EDT 2014

I would expect it to pulse on that side, the piston will pull air in then push it back out the intake.  However, removing the pushrods will keep the valve still so it won't destroy the seat and send shrapnel through to the other two cylinders.  The other issue I see is the remaining five cylinders will be working really hard, and they already do in a UV.

Some of my thinking would come down to how far does he have to go and how flat is the terrain.  If the plan is to rebuild anyway and the terrain is favorable, then I'd pull the pushrods and go for it.  If it's a short drive to get home, go for it.  If it's a long way over mountains, or the engine is otherwise in really good shape and you don't want to hurt it, I'd replace the head.

--Bryan