<VV> Cleaning Piston Crowns

Dale K Dewald dkdewald at pasty.net
Fri Apr 4 19:11:33 EDT 2014

On 4/3/2014 21:12, Paul Michalczyk wrote:
> I'm preparing a spare engine for my 65 140 Corsa and don't want to tear
> things down further than I need to. What's the best way to remove carbon
> buildup on the piston tops without removing the pistons and rods from
> the engine?
Hello Paul,

As others have stated, be wary of the condition of the pistons on this
engine if they are OEM.  If this is a very low mile engine or you are
otherwise confident that the pistons will be "good enough" for your
intended use, then proceed with the cleaning.  If you have already
opened up the engine or if it is in a state where it cannot be run, then
with the heads off, clean each piston at TDC using a scraper followed by
gentle wire brushing by hand or with a soft wheel in a drill or
grinder.  You will need to secure the cylinders both during cleaning and
as you rotate the crankshaft with the heads off.  Make up a set of 24
pieces of tubing (water pipe) to slip over the head bolts, then use
these with nuts and washers to hold the cylinders against the block.

Dale Dewald
Hancock, MI