<VV> other thoughts - off topic

Joel Rushworth westerncanadacorsa at shaw.ca
Tue Apr 8 11:52:21 EDT 2014

If you're still running XP, go update it NOW.  You've only got a few more hours to get the last patches from MS you'll ever see.

Better yet, go get a new computer.   XP is more than 12 years old and has more holes than Swiss Cheese.  In an era when Apple has dropped support for versions of it's OS that were not even 5 years old, it is a miracle that XP has kept chugging along for as long as it has.  If you've got questions on what device to get, feel free to email me off list.  I will say that the best place to buy ANY PC is from Microsoft directly.  All of the PCs they sell come with what's called "the Signature Experience".  Basically, MS gets PCs from the OEMs, strips out all of their crapware, and installs an optimized version of Windows 8.1 on them.

I strongly suspect that there are hackers out there that have been sitting on serious and harmful exploits for XP, just waiting for this day to arrive.

If you are going to continue to use XP, you might find the following helpful.  One thing this doesn't mention is make sure you are not logged in as an "admin" level user.
http://www.itbuzz.ca/5-things-to-do-if-youre-still-running-windows-xp/

If you're going to get a new system, MS is providing some tools to make it easier.
http://features.en.softonic.com/video-xp-to-windows-7-or-8-with-pcmover

George: As someone who uses Windows 8, now 8.1 and soon to be 8.1 Update, you really should go back and give it another shot.  Win8 is basically Win7+.  If you're a desktop user you can now go straight to the desktop and basically use Win8 in the same way you're using Win7.  They're even bringing the Start Menu back (personally I think this is a step back, but you have to give MS kudos for listening to it's users).   Regards,Joel