<VV> Change to 14" or 15" wheels on early Corvairs

kenpepke at juno.com kenpepke at juno.com
Tue Apr 8 20:40:16 EDT 2014

With proper sized 13" tires becoming rare, I'm considering the possibility
of trying to purchase 14" or 15" wheels and go with a tire that will fit
and  work when my current (new) tires need replacement (yes - I'm planning on
keeping  my 62 Monza Coupe and on living a long time - I hope).  I have
heard that  the 1963 Chevy II Nova SS came with 14" 4 bolt wheels with a 4 X 4
1/2" bolt  pattern.  Where in the world would someone find these.  I haven't
had  any luck checking the Internet.

With practically no trouble at all, one can redrill hubs, drums, & axle flanges to accept the
4 3/4 x 5 bolt pattern found on almost all of the smaller GM cars made between 1955 &
1988 and some later.  A drill press will do it or visit a local friendly machine shop.

Once done there are thousands of wheel styles available in 13, 14, and 15 inch diameters.

Ken P
Wyandotte, MI
1965 Monza 2 door