<VV> Help with a sound

MarK Durham 62vair at gmail.com
Tue Apr 15 12:17:32 EDT 2014

Bob, if this sound corresponded to the click click of the lifters when you
did the hot adjustment I would suspect you are correct. The only way to be
sure is to pull the lifters by removing the valve cover, rockers, studs,
push rod tubes and then the lifters. Make sure you keep each in its
respective hole, and look at the bottoms of the lifters for scoring and
heavy wear. About 500 miles is where lifter break in problems show up.
Did any of the lifter adjustments seem to take more than others? Also an
indication of wear.
Also a few years back there was mention of some incorrectly ramped cam
lobes that took out the lifters. Where did the can cone from and what
vintage is it?
If that does not reveal any problems take off the top of the engine and
look for cylinder/piston scoring and also with the top off you can glance
around the crank at cam lobes. Mark Durham