<VV> "piston slap?"

N2VZD at aol.com N2VZD at aol.com
Sun Apr 20 16:06:28 EDT 2014

Sorry I may have mislead you

get the top off the motor to  check
Touching an exposed skirt on a piston that is too loose will cause a click
noise when the piston "rocks" in the bore.
 I did not say heads...but I neglected to specify "skirts" also   (bottom
of piston?)

  For me , It is quicker to remove the top of a Corvair motor , than  the
heads for things like that , plus I could look at / for a lot of other
possibilities. including cam and lifter areas with my little TV camera.
The noise sounded just like an older (60's) vette with fuel injection and
solid lifter cam setup. ( I had a 62 fuelie) They were fairly noisy cold.
These are things I have actually seen and done , not that long  ago. The
problem was all due  to a screw up by a  Piston factory  , or vendor out west.
I did wrong by trusting factory marks on parts . I even purchased an extra
set of Clark's full fin cylinders to test..thinking they might have been
wrong.  All was correct except the pistons, at my expense of time and  money.
It happened just before Sturbridge , So I drove the SRX instead of my
truck Knashing my teeth all week.
on with the show
Regards, Tim Colson