<VV> Fan Bearing Shaft Diameter& Top Cover Bearing Bore Diameter

Michael Emanuele rampside1 at roadrunner.com
Tue Apr 22 15:56:42 EDT 2014

While test driving a newly acquired 61 Monza that a lady friend just
purchased I was going about seventy five mph on the highway when the fan
bearing decided to try and launch itself. Luckily the accelerator cross
shaft stopped it from going into space. I was able to find a rock on the
side of the road and tap it back in to get home. My question is does
anyone know what the bearing shaft diameter should be and what the bore
diameter on the top cover should be. I have done bearing replacements
before and have always had to use an arbor press for removal and
installation. When I took the top cover off the car I tapped on the
bearing and it fell out into my hand. The bearing was replaced by the
previous owner and looks to be new. The shaft diameter measures .747.
The bearing bore measures about .745. To me this is not good enough for
a pressed fit. I am inclined to think that the top cover being
alluminium is at fault. Any and all help is appreciated.
   Mike Emanuele