<VV> [fastvair] Repair to engine oil pan bolt holes

Jim Becker mr.jebecker at gmail.com
Mon Aug 4 10:42:58 EDT 2014

I subscribe to the same philosophy, use the method that leaves the most
original material on place.  Go to the next method if necessary.  I believe
a Helicoil leaves more of the original.  (Think about it, a coil of threads
vs. solid insert.)  I have yet to need a Timesert.  For the next step back
on keeping the hole small, you might also consider "Loctite Form-A-Thread"
as an alternative.  It obviously isn't an option in a high stress
application but might be OK here.  I've never used it for a pan bolt but I
have for rocker covers.  It held up at least as long as I owned the car.  I
suspect it may fail after a relatively small number of remove/install
cycles.  When/if it fails, you can still go to Helicoils the Timeserts.

Jim