<VV> 69 140 gas

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Sun Dec 7 12:25:28 EST 2014

I agree with Hank on the GM Top End Cleaner.

But, I have to disagree on ethanol killing octane. Our current gasoline
formulas are mandated by the federal government (hence why the only
difference between name brands and the independent gasolines are the
tiny amount of additive added to the tanker truck before delivery) but
back when there was a chain of Gasahol stations that promoted their
product with higher octane than regular pump gas, and they were just
adding ethanol to regular pump gas. My 70 Buick 10:1 ran so much better
(with timing adjustment) on their 96 octane product.

For cars that sit, ethanol does do weird stuff inside the bowl of the
carburetor. For cars that are regularly driven, you will see no
problems. My daughter's car is in daily service, and has no carburetor
issues since we put it on the road in 2009. But I see the bowl crap in
cars that sit for months at a time.

Non ethanol gas is not an option for most people who drive their cars,
as the stations are so far from most population centers. Also many of
them in this state just sell 87 octane.

Frank DuVal