<VV> Fwd: Brake questions

Dusty Steinberg noahsarkinc at earthlink.net
Wed Dec 24 16:58:11 EST 2014

What you describe as a the pedal going half way to the floor, and the master cylinder being full, along with 4000 miles of good braking on a new master cylinder speaks volumes to me. Let me start off by saying that just because something is new, doesn't mean that it is good.  What you have described indicates to me that the master cylinder is failing internally.  This is common on MPS brake parts. some the rubber is failing inside the master cylinder.  I suggest that you take the master cylinder off, and give it a light honing, and replace all the internal rubber parts.  When you rebuild it, lubricate the rubber parts with either brake assembly fluid, or brake fluid of the type that is in your system.  Also, after you hone the cylinder, you need to wash the bore with hot soapy water, and dry.  This will remove the fine metal particles that are left from the honing job.  If you rebuild the wheel cylinders, wash them also.  Whenever I use NOS hydraulic  brake parts, I always disassemble, clean the cylinder and rubber parts with brake cleaner, and reassemble.  It is the old assembly fluid that gums up the works when you don't do this.  I have seen this many times before.  If you need additional instructions or help, contact me directly at my email address.  Paul in CT