<VV> OT: Thru Bolts from Corvair Generator or similar

Jim Becker jim.becker at verizon.net
Wed Feb 26 10:18:15 EST 2014

I have a pile of generators/starters etc. that is on its way to China
whenever I pile it all on a trailer.  Unfortunately, I'm not anywhere near
it right now to check any sizes.  #8 sounds kind of small for a 1/3 hp motor
and even #10 sounds too small for any of the Corvair components.  Fastenal
has bolts in a lot of the less common sizes, not sure about that long and
that small a diameter.  Another option is to use threaded rod and put nuts
on both ends.  Fastenal does have threaded rod of the needed sizes.  I
haven't checked McMaster-Carr, but they are likely to have the same and
maybe the bolts as well.

Threaded rod is likely to be your easiest solution.  For that application,
you may want to check the material grade and try to get grade 5 if you can
find it.

Jim Becker