<VV> 2014 CORSA CONVENTION

Carl Kelsen Arlette Pat arlettecarl at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 21 17:49:50 EDT 2014

Hi everyone,
As I write this email, it's early Tuesday morning July 22, 2014 in Australia. This sky outside is clear and sunny but it's going to be quite a cold day as we are currently in the middle of our winter.

Some of you may know that I have attended a number of Corsa Conventions, the most recent being in 2010, then again in 2011 and then just last year in 2013. But I won't be attending this year and wanted to wish everyone well who is attending this years convention. I am certain it will be great. The hotel from all account sounds very nice as does the location and planned events.

Attending an annual CORSA convention as an international member is very expensive, it costs me (believe it or not) an absolute minimum of $14,000. Last year the cost was closer to $19,000 but that was my choice as these days on flights longer than 9 hours I elect to pay for QANTAS Business International Class (full flat bed) which return to the west coast of the United Sates costs me $8,500 and then on top of that there is the connecting domestic air travel within the USA, hire cars, hotels, etc.

Don't get me wrong I am not complaining about this cost as in the end it's simply a consequence of being interested in vehicles which were built for a country on the other side of the world. I retired about a year ago. My wife Arlette and I enjoy international travel and we have no problem spending money on travel. Our view is that why do you work all your life, store the funds in the bank and then leave to someone else to spend after you die. We firmly believe that there comes a time in your life when it's time to enjoy those funds and that is what we do.

I am a healthy 63 year old and believe that we both can continue travelling internationally for perhaps another 10-15 years (until our late 70s) but unexpected health issues could prevent international sooner than this. Who knows? My mother-in-law still travels internationally on long haul frights of 17 plus hours and she is 85 years old but recently she is seeing that she has probably taken her last long flight of over 10 hours.

Many people will say that one day they will do this long haul international travel but keep putting it off year after year until they reach a point where age and or health issues prevent this travel completely.

We like to take a long international trip at least every second year if not every year. I have made 17 trips to the USA. Each of these trips has been at least six weeks long. One was for 2 months! So I have seen a lot of the USA over these trips and have extensively driven most of your countries lower 48 States. it's probably time my travel dollar was spent seeing some of Europe.

I am not saying that I will not be attending another CORSA Convention, but these no immediate plans to do so. The way I see it is if I have 10 years of International left in me, then I have say 5 or 6 International trips left before I may be to old for long haul travel. Those 5 or 6 trips should I think take in Europe of which I have not visited yet.

Maybe I will see everyone at the 2016 or 2017 CORSA Convention, but for now I wish all of you well and will be thinking of all of you over the next few days as you enjoy the 2014 CORSA Convention.

Regards
Carl Kelsen
1965 RHD Chevrolet Corvair Monza convertible
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia