<VV> GM's dumbest idea--"Flush and Dry Rockers"

hallgrenn at aol.com hallgrenn at aol.com
Wed Jul 30 14:43:19 EDT 2014

Bill,

I have put a piece of black vinyl screen under the plenum grill on some of my cars to limit the big stuff which helps, but the biggest difference was still at least an annual flush from back and front after cleaning the debris out behind the fender.  For a good flush you remove the rubber plugs at the front and back of the rockers and flush back and forth with a garden hose to clear out the salt, sand, grit and rotted vegetation.  I've used a power washer wand on cars when first purchased as well.  The little rubber flap on the inside of the back of the rear rocker is frequently gone which allows the rear wheel splash to get into the back of the rocker rear section.

I have also cut open the back of the rockers on two cars, flushed them, run a flue cleaning brush through a couple of times and then used a 90 degree attachment that came with an undercoating kit to spray undercoating inside with some good results.  I saw my one and only new Corvair in the field at the Corvair Ranch a few weeks back (where I sent it to die among friends) and its rockers were still solid after all the salt in Germany and back in the USA.  If the other body damage and rust hadn't been so bad I'd still be driving it.  Cleaning and flushing from day one did make a difference on that one.

...and I still like EMs.

Bob