<VV> help (LM A/C Center Vent)

George Jones 65crownv8 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 26 11:12:18 EDT 2014

By no means am I an expert on this topic, but here are my thoughts.... I
like the idea of 3D printing of replacement surrounds, if it is of a
different, more rigid and less flexible material. The problems I see are
typically with the center of the vent closing from the top & bottom. I
don't know if the problem is due to heat, age, or ? If a more suitable
material is identified, you would also need to address how best to fasten
the trim to the vent. I've seen a couple of the current reproductions
installed, and I don't know if it's just something that is beyond the
capabilities of the average Corvair owner, or a design problem, but I
haven't seen one that looks as good as an original (no offense to whomever
is/was making them).

The last hurdle would be the plating, and I believe that there is a less
expensive option out there. I, like a lot of you, viewed the Jay Leno's
Garage video where he had a guest spray on a chrome finish using a paint
gun. I was skeptical until I saw it in person. At the Good guys show this
spring, there was a vendor for this service, and what drew my attention was
that he had a chrome plated baseball on display. I watched as he threw it
on the floor, squeezed it, and then tossed it to me. No flakes of chrome
missing,  no scratches to the surface, and it was as pliable as it started
out life (subsequent to the cows demise). We didn't talk prices, but he had
a number of items on display that normally be able to be plated, and the
finish looked like it would hold up well. I'll see if I can find his card.

George Jones
Orlando, FL