<VV> Convention and Membership

jbailey jbailey at daytonwa.net
Sat Mar 1 12:06:04 EST 2014

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 5
> Date: Sat, 1 Mar 2014 02:54:54 +0000 (UTC)
> From: ricebugg at comcast.net
> Subject: <VV> Convention & Membership
> To: virtualvairs at corvair.org
>

> All: First, for those going to this summer's CORSA convention, please be
> aware of the fabulous aircraft museum about an hour or so north of the
> convention site.  Evergreen Aviation Museum is the name, if I remember
> correctly.  It is every bit as fabulous as the LeMay Auto museum.   Should
> be on your list of other things to do when in that neighborhood.  Probably
> should be on the CORSA Convention's list of tours.  Maybe it is, and I
> haven't noticed, or it hasn't been announced yet.
>

> I've often thought when we use VV as a soapbox to bash (or praise) CORSA,
> in the interest of complete disclosure, we should state if we are a CORSA
> member, and for how long.  Maybe VV's keepers should write a new rule...
>

> While I remember that Hank failed to reup his membership some years ago, I
> do not remember what specifically his beef was.  I might have his e-mail in
> a old file, but I'm not going to look.  Nothing to gain.  Last I knew, both
> Ned and Bob were not CORSA members.  Why I do not know.  I really like both
> of them, and have hung out with them at different times over the years.
> Both have contributed to what CORSA is today.  For that I thank them.
>

> I was aware of the effort the east coast folks made to change, maybe even
> improve, the choices non-CORSA members have when in the CORSA Convention is
> in town.  But Bob said the CORSA BoD said in effect, the Convention is the
> "CORSA International Convention" not a "Corvair Convention".  Wish I had
> thought of that description.  Says it well in very few words.
>

> Oh, and for whatever it is worth, back at the CORSA convention in Iowa, I
> ask someone, maybe Harry, if CORSA membership increases in the area the
> CORSA Convention is held in.  He said yes, historically by about 50
> members, who generally drop off one year later.  Go figure.  Someone also
> said Cal Clark said he has more folks in Iowa on his mailing list than
> CORSA has members.  Go figure that one.  Actually there is a very good
> reason for that situation, but I think I answered the question in one of my
> Directors Turn columns when I was on the CORSA/CPF BoD back around the turn
> of the century.  (Isn't it fun to say, "Turn of the century"?  We also get
> to say "Turn of the Millennium", but usually don't.  It's a relative small
> number of people who have ever lived who can say both.  OK, so maybe I'm
> easily amused tonight!!  VBG!!!)
>

> There's a couple other truths we seem to forget in our increasingly
> entitled mentality society.  One is there is no free lunch.  Somebody has
> to pay.  The other is, if you want to play, you have to pay.
>

> I know Hank is a Marine, who served us all in 'Nam, and, as a medic, saved
> [...]

Well put.  For the most part I ignore the potshots people make on this site
and focus on our favorite car and anything connected with it.  I will
continue to support CORSA regardless whether all participants belong or not
at various events.  The main point is that CORSA is achieving its goal of
keeping the Corvair alive and in the public eye along with providing the
support system to do so.

I  believe you were referring to the Museum of Flight at Boeing Field (
http://www.museumofflight.org/ ) which is close (20 miles or so) to the
LeMay Museum where the 2014 CORSA International Convention will be.  I
visited this museum shortly after it opened at this location in the 1980s.
It was absolutely fantastic then and I bet it is even better now.  The
Evergreen Aviation and Space Museum (http://evergreenmuseum.org/ ) is
located in McMinnville, OR just outside of Portland, OR, which is @ 180
miles away from Tacoma.  The Evergreen is the home of the famous "Spruce
Goose" built and flown by Howard Hughes.

As far as Hank serving in the Marine Corps as a medic, that isn't quite
correct as the Marine Corps does not have medics as such.  Navy Corpsmen
serve as their medics.  Navy Corpsmen typically wear battle gear with their
Navy rating and insignia.  On formal occasions they still wear their Navy
dress whites or dress blues depending on the circumstances.  Nevertheless,
I salute and thank Hank for his service.  Most Corpsmen I know treasure
their experience with the Marines.

John B.