<VV> boiling battery

Smitty vairologist at cox.net
Sun Mar 23 16:51:53 EDT 2014

From: Ken Lundy <klundy at optimum.net>

After running my 64 convertible this morning, I noticed the battery fluid
was boiling over.
I measured the voltage at the battery terminals and got 16.9 volts.
I then tapped on the voltage regulator with a screwdriver handle and the
voltage dropped to 14.6.
Measured again about 10 minutes later and got 12.8.
Should I replace the regulator? Is there anything else that might be causing
this voltage fluctuation?
Smitty Says;  Ken go to your FLAPS and buy a volt meter.  Put a cigarette
lighter receptacle on it like is common to other plug in items..  Plug it
into your lighter socket and monitor it for a while.  It will tell you when
it is time to bash the regulator again.  Seriously though, it is a nice tool
to have around the shop.