<VV> Update on 1965 Monza convertible

kenpepke at juno.com kenpepke at juno.com
Mon Mar 24 08:48:11 EDT 2014

Whoa, hang on a minute … Buying cars at auction is a whole 'nuther animal!

First, there is very little time to check the vehicle and even simple test drives are rarely available!  Better have a friend with you that REALLY knows the kind of car in which you are interested … and is very experienced in bidding.

Second, unless it is a 'no reserve' auction the seller is still setting the minim sale price which will most likely be higher than a good market value.  The seller will be banking on having at least two interested parties.  If there is no reserve the owner has given up on retail sale and is willing to dump the car for 'whatever' so ask yourself WHY?

Third, auctioneers are masters at getting interested parties into bidding wars … There actually is something known as 'Auction Fever!'  It is sooooo easy to get caught up in a bidding war and go way, way over the reasonable market value.

Fourth, it will probably not be possible to learn anything of its history of, or to determine how close to the original specifications, the vehicle has been held … especially for a Corvair as there is no organization offering national standards for quality and accuracy of restoration.

Fifth, if it is one of the better auctions [that is where the better quality vehicles are to be found] the first thing you have to do is BUY a bidder's card!  And you have to be willing to throw that investment away when the bidding goes higher than you can [or should] possibly pay.

The list could go on and on ...

Now all of this is not to say cars should be not bought at auction BUT, after reading about your concerns in buying that '65 convertible, the auction house may not be the place for you!  It is truly the land of 'let the buyer beware!'  Better you should seek a dealer well know for quality vehicles.

Ken P
Wyandotte, MI
65 Monza 110hp 4 speed 2 door
Worry looks around; Sorry looks back, Faith looks up.