<VV> Nitride Coating Thickness

BobHelt at aol.com BobHelt at aol.com
Sat May 10 15:59:41 EDT 2014

>From my book and extensive research.....

Finally,  the crankshafts were nitrided to increase the surface hardness
and to prevent  incipient cracks from being initiated in the fillets.
Chevrolet called this  process “Tufftriding.” The nitriding process involved
heating the crank to  1075O F in a liquid cyanide salt environment for a number of
 hours. The nitrates in the salt react with the hot steel to increase the
fatigue  strength of the surface. The longer the crank is exposed to the
cyanide salt,  the greater will be the depth of nitriding. Twenty hours of
exposure produces a  hardened depth of about 0.012". While the actual length of
exposure at  Chevrolet is unknown, it is thought to have been around four
hours, which would  create a depth of about 2-3 thousands of protection. The
actual hardened  depth is very thin, and is completely destroyed by regrinding
the crank.  However, the reground surfaces can be nitrided again by any
competent shop.

Bob  Helt

In a message dated 5/10/2014 9:43:24 A.M. US Mountain Standard Time,