<VV> Corvairs in IMSA

James P. Rice ricebugg at comcast.net
Mon May 19 21:33:46 EDT 2014

All:  I sent Chuck a private e-mail about this, asking for when did Corvairs
race in IMSA.  I have all the year books, and, if what Chuck says is
correct, I have totally missed the cars on the entry/results list in those
year books.  So far as I know, no Corvair ever raced in any IMSA series.  I
would love to be demonstrated wrong.

I also wrote IMSA back in what must have been the early '80's when I was
Chairman of the Competition Committee. Asked about Corvairs running in IMSA.
Got told cars had to be less than 10 yrs old to run in any of their series.

Chuck refers to one of Dave's cars running at Marlboro back then.  True, it
was Tony DeLorenzo's A-Sedan Corvair car before it was converted to a
Stinger.  But the race was in 1966, was a SCCA Trans Am event, and about 5
or 6 years before IMSA was created.  There was another Corvair in that race.
Along with the TA event at Sebring in 1966, Corvairs race in three or maybe
four TA event in 1966.  I'd have to get my records or to verify what I think
I remember...but not tonight.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad Dave got to run, and wish Chuck had.  But I
think race officials at the event don't know their history real well.  Good
for us!!

Historically Yours,
               James Rice

PS:  Some of you will love next months Communique.

Message: 4