<VV> power steering?

Jay Maechtlen jaysplace at laserpubs.com
Sat May 24 01:32:42 EDT 2014

On 5/23/2014 1:21 AM, Sethracer at aol.com wrote:
> The reason I mentioned the tank, is that all of the Rack & Pinion
> conversions I have seen, cut through a corner of the tank. A power
> Rack& Pinion, maybe even an electric one would be easier to "Plumb" or
> "wire" - Since the Corvair is a front steer car, it would likely have
> to be a front-steer R&P. But they are around. The shaft from the
> steering column cuts through the corner of the tank to hit the
> Rack.    -Seth

Well, a front steer would likely be easier.  But if I have to modify the
tank even a little bit, it would make sense to modify it a lot, or even
move it.
I think there's be room under the rear "seat", like a modern fwd car.
Shorter fuel and return lines, easier plumbing for fuel system venting, etc.
And room for a rear-steer r&p.

I think the consensus was that my steering arms (stock '61 Pontiac
Tempest) are even worse than stock Corvair steering arms for Ackerman.
But they (the Tempest arms) would prob give perfect Ackerman if spindles
and arms are swapped right-to-left, so they point to the rear.

The never-ending project.
- not even mentioning the desire to stiffen up this flexible flyer.
Several ideas in the pipeline there.

cheers
Jay
--
Jay Maechtlen SoCal '61 2-dr modified w/fiberglass skin, transverse 3.8
Buick V6 TH440T4 trans

---