<VV> power steering?

Jay Maechtlen jaysplace at laserpubs.com
Sun May 25 02:16:31 EDT 2014

Well, lessee-
the steel skin was removed, and replaced with a custom fiberglass skin.
The steel roof is gone. There are steel tubes/pipes arching over the
doors to the windshield frame, but they don't tie across to each other.
It was a 2-door, not a convertible, so whatever the factory might have
done for open cars isn't there on this one.
The floor has had a hard life,  since some of it was cut away for a
mid-engine V-8.
The V-8 is gone, but I had to cut some structure away to make room for
the transverse V6. (the rear bulkhead and boxing between engine
compartment and passenger compartment was all in the way. There are now
some crossmembers, but they certainly don't add up to the stiffness of
the original build.)

So, it has many reasons to be flexible.
The approach that appeals to me most (yes, I sometimes have a penchant
for doing things the hard way) is
to cut the rockers out and weld a structural tube (think big driveshaft
tubing) down each side. Weld in place, with end constraints as appropriate.
Looks like 4 1/4 - 4 1/2 " tube would fit, and stiffen the beast
substantially. The tubing curvature could give a similar look to the
stock rockers - though anyone looking close might get pretty confused.
When I swap the supercharged 3800  in, I will revise the connection
scheme between the subframe and the car's structure. I hope to come up
with a structural engine bulkhead at the same time that will stiffen the
rear.

But I'm not in a huge rush to tackle the rocker tube project.
A usual approach would be to add a roll cage. But I really don't want a
roll cage in the car - I like being able to get in and out easily. An
honest roll bar is on the wanted list, though.

So, now you know much more than you wanted to...

--
Jay Maechtlen SoCal '61 2-dr modified w/fiberglass skin, transverse 3.8
Buick V6 TH440T4 trans

---